Monday, November 25, 2013

Feeling vindicated in 2013

I can't help but feel vindicated these days. When I left the church around 2001 the internet was just starting to really grow into the powerful source of information and communication that it is today. But during the time I was leaving it was a time when former Mormons were still intensely vilified by many Mormons; and some (not all) LDS apologists would often verbally attack me in emails, and the church still taught the hemispheric model of the Book of Mormon, the seed of Cain dogma, and was hiding most of the controversial doctrines, etc. All that is changing within the last ten years or so since I left. Whereas members who left Mormonism before the internet never got to see these changes, I am lucky enough to see the truth I uncovered (that has been heard all around the web by numerous authors) actually affect the LDS church and lead to more positive changes I discuss in the link below.

As a result I feel vindicated. For while I was told by members I was wrong and I was the problem, today the LDS apologists and leaders are admitting these are real problems and are actually changing the doctrines because THEY ARE IN FACT WRONG; or at least offering full disclosure more often. All the hard work and research of numerous authors has paid off. We were not wrong, we weren't the problem; Mormonism was wrong, and it was the problem all along.

I just updated my blog post on A Short List of the Positive Aspects of Mormonism & The Goodness It Creates. In the process I show how core doctrines that I grew up with are now changing. I especially find it powerful to watch the video examples in my blog post linked above, on the difference between the film God's Army by Richard Dutcher and the apologist's video I discuss in my updated post. There is an obvious change in tone among many apologists; the internet and the truth is forcing them to realize that they can't smugly dismiss the members doubts and attack and blame them anymore. The truth is too powerful. You can attack the messenger but the truth of the message will plow forward.

So yes the LDS church is making positive changes because they were wrong about core doctrines, and yes I feel vindicated; and so should all the former Mormons over the years who had the courage and integrity to speak out and affect these changes. We weren't wrong, we were right. We weren't the problem, we were the catalyst to the LDS church changing many false doctrines; and in their own way admitting we were right by sympathizing more with dissidents and being more open about the controversial issues.

I truly believe that while the mind control is powerful in Mormonism, the fact that Mormon culture does place a high value on honesty and truth; that overtime the membership and the leaders will eventually come to discount all or most of the false claims of Mormonism.   

2 comments:

Diane Tingen said...

Yes, I know what you're saying. I know I was right when I left Mormonism because of all the lies and deception that underlie its tenets and its incredibly sordid history. It's very clear to me that it is a fraudulent religious organization. I had no questions when I left, and no doubts remained - and they still don't. But while I feel "vindicated," I don't believe that they will ever truly "come clean" to the extent that they should. To do so would break their bank, and since I believe money is their big motivator, I don't think they'll ever go so far as to admit that it was a fraud from the get-go.

William Kempton said...

I agree that that they will not likely ever truly "come clean’ to the extent that they should,” at least not in my lifetime. I think money is a motivating factor yes. I also agree that they will not likely ever “go so far as to admit that it was a fraud from the get-go.” From my study of other religious groups similar to Mormonism, what I find is that they adapt and change but the unique elements remain. What I see happening is Utah Mormonism moving closer and closer to what has become of the Reorganized LDS church (now called The Community of Christ). I can see a lot of this happening already with the Hinckley denying that polygamy is doctrinal and Mormons in the media not coming clean about the doctrine of “exalted” Mormons becoming Gods. There is this push to sound more “traditional Christian.” You even have some Mormon apologists arguing for a more Christian sounding view of the trinity. I was just visiting the Mormon Church I grew up in and all the pictures of Joseph Smith I used to see are gone. All the walls were filled with pictures of Jesus. The church of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young is SLOWLY, very slowly, becoming more mainstream to fit into today’s modern forms of Christianity. In short, I think the church will continue to change in exact accord with the members affecting such a change. In other words, I believe it will be a bottom up phenomenon and not a top down one. The members will change the leaders.

Satan Made me Do It, Done Made me Think

In the future I will be writing about some of the positive aspects of Mormonism. Today I am going to talk about this video clip of an LDS le...