Skip to main content

The Danger of a Single Story & Former Mormons

This morning I watched another TED video titled: The danger of a single story, posted below:


This video reminded me of my life as a Mormon and how I had a single story about exmormons/post-Mormons. I viewed all former Mormons as lost and to be pitied, sinful in need of reconverting, and/or deceived by Satan. I viewed those who were never Mormon or what I called “Gentiles” as equally lost, in need of conversion, and in some way deceived by Satan. I held a very black and white view with little room for complexity. Sure I tried to “love my neighbor” and “judge not” but I was also trained as a Mormon to view myself as the “elect,” the “chosen few,” and there was a cosmic battle between the forces of evil and the forces of good. I, of course, was on the good side. This of course tightened the bond with fellow Mormons and likewise dug a deeper hole in the cavern separating Us from Them.

I am pleased with the new I am an exmormon website. For this site breaks the stereotypes about former Mormons and tells their real story with a face to go with it. Yet I wonder how many Mormons actually watch these stories. In fact, how many True Believing Mormons have actually listened to one of their former Mormon loved ones (a spouse, sibling, relative) share their story of why they are no longer Mormon. What would happen if they did?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mormon Shame and Tame Cycle

Disclaimer: In this post I am not saying that feeling healthy guilt is wrong. In fact healthy guilt is sometimes important toward facilitating personal growth and ethical change. In this post I am critiquing Mormonism's methods of extreme demands on the membership to live up to the Mormon ideals, followed by unhealthy shaming techniques and the implementation of emotional manipulation. For my readers who are Christian, nothing I write herein goes against basic Christian doctrines of healthy guilt and confession to God and forgiveness by grace. I am specifically critiquing the Mormon Corporation and its methods of mind controlling it’s members through several methods, including making impossible demands on fallible humans; like the rule that you can't drink coffee, or that women shouldn't have more than one pair of earrings; and how LDS members who have been through the temple are required to wear secret Mormon underwear day and night to be deemed “worthy” of entering the t…

Did Joseph Smith have Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Disclaimer: Joseph Smith is many things to many people. For some in the restoration movement, who believe in the Book of Mormon but reject the leadership of Brigham Young, Smith was inspired but a “fallen” prophet. To Utah Mormons, Smith was a noble man worthy of constant praise and adoration. When I was a missionary there was one family who had a huge mural of Joseph Smith in their living room, with a smaller painting of Jesus consigned to the kitchen area. Growing up Mormon I only heard of Smith’s strengths and talents, never his flaws and foibles. My analysis below is no doubt an incomplete portrait of Joseph Smith, for I am focusing on one aspect of his character; but my focus balances out the white washed squeaky clean image of Smith produced by the LDS church. We are all multifaceted individuals and full of complexity and profound mystery. Nevertheless, this is an attempt to uncover at least one aspect of Smith’s personality and how it likely influenced his new religion of Mormo…

A Short List of Harm Caused by Mormonism

This blog post should be read in conjunction with my blog post here and my essay titled The Positive Side of Mormonism, where I mention all of the good in the Mormon Church. In this post I will point out several reasons why I think Mormonism can often be harmful. I need to be clear though that I separate the individual Mormon from the LDS Institution. When I speak of Mormonism being harmful I am not talking about average Mormons themselves as individuals. In fact, after reading the essay linked above it will become clear to the reader that I am aware of not just the goodness in the LDS church, but that there are many ethical Mormons of high character doing good in the world. 
I believe most Mormons are not themselves harmful but are unknowing victims of MormonISM. So to be clear, this list is not an attack in any way on individual Mormons but is a list of the harm caused by the LDS Corporation.
My intent is to both explain why, I personally am not a Cultural Mormon (New Order Mormon…