Skip to main content

Top 10 Reasons I'm happier now as a non-Mormon

10. Instead of giving 10% of my income to the LDS church that is used to build highly expensive buildings where imaginary dead people are dunked in H-2-O -- and everyone gets together and chants giving secret handshakes -- I give my money to those who really need it like to a charity. Helping others in need instead of playing make-believe makes me happy.

9. I’m no longer allowing myself to be indoctrinated while singing songs like "praise to the man."

8. I no longer feel like I’m better than everyone else when I walk into a room. I no longer engage in polarized thinking, “us Mormons vs. the World.” I feel more at one with humanity and interconnected to all of life. I'm less judgmental, more accepting of others, more tolerant, and free!

7. I think like a grown up and I never could get myself to engage in childish dependency void of individualism, looking with star-struck eyes to the commands of an 80 year old man in Utah whom I’ve never met before; who I’m supposed to have tell me what to think and do in life. I now think freely reading any kind of book I want. I'm free to form my own philosophies based on research and reason. I have the joy of thinking for myself.

6. I can look forward to having a normal wedding without wearing a ridiculous hat and green apron in front of my wife-to-be trying not to laugh because you both look like a “baker” for Halloween. I can actually look normal and all of our non-Mormon friends and family can participate in the wedding instead of rejecting them. Families can bring joy so why segregate them?

5. I no longer have to keep shoving my doubts in the back of my head but can embrace the evidence, the truth, and reality without fear. I can free my mind!

4. I can now actually be myself and not feel like a Mormon might be nearby asking to make sure I’m behaving as a proper Mormon i.e. “are you wearing your garments brother so and so?”

3. I can have a cup of coffee, a glass of tea, or a beer in moderation (1 Tim. 5:23) if I want to without fear God will destroy me since “wine maketh glad the heart of man” (Psalm 104:15; Eccl. 10:19); after all didn’t Jehovah himself even command one group to drink wine in the Bible (see Jeremiah 35:1-2)? I have the freedom to drink responsibly if I so choose.

2. I am free of the herd mentality at church, where critical thinking and truly open discussion is socially forbidden; as you are to go and graze with the herd only reinforcing the groupthink. I am like a prisoner set free.

1. And the number one reason I’m happy out of Mormonism is I don't have to wear secret-underwear anymore. Free of those superstitious long johns from the 19th century I can be normal, and wear black or blue boxers if I want, and not be embarrassed to get dressed in the Gym in fear of others seeing the Masonic markings stitched on my chest. I don’t have to be afraid of going to the Terrestrial Kingdom because someone accidentally saw my Holy Undies. I avoid sweating profusely unnecessarily from wearing superstitious magic underwear in the summer. Now I only wear one T-shirt in the summer like a normal person.

Comments

Son of Liberty said…
Bill,

I agree with you - the church can be quite stifling! While the church is full of good people, they are so caught up in all the superstitions that are taught to them. While I'm still a member, and still attend church regularly, I do it to maintain consistency with my family. My wife does not agree with me about the Church, but we have come to the understanding that we agree to disagree.

Popular posts from this blog

The Mormon Shame and Tame Cycle

Disclaimer: In this post I am not saying that feeling healthy guilt is wrong. In fact healthy guilt is sometimes important toward facilitating personal growth and ethical change. In this post I am critiquing Mormonism's methods of extreme demands on the membership to live up to the Mormon ideals, followed by unhealthy shaming techniques and the implementation of emotional manipulation. For my readers who are Christian, nothing I write herein goes against basic Christian doctrines of healthy guilt and confession to God and forgiveness by grace. I am specifically critiquing the Mormon Corporation and its methods of mind controlling it’s members through several methods, including making impossible demands on fallible humans; like the rule that you can't drink coffee, or that women shouldn't have more than one pair of earrings; and how LDS members who have been through the temple are required to wear secret Mormon underwear day and night to be deemed “worthy” of entering the t…

Did Joseph Smith have Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Disclaimer: Joseph Smith is many things to many people. For some in the restoration movement, who believe in the Book of Mormon but reject the leadership of Brigham Young, Smith was inspired but a “fallen” prophet. To Utah Mormons, Smith was a noble man worthy of constant praise and adoration. When I was a missionary there was one family who had a huge mural of Joseph Smith in their living room, with a smaller painting of Jesus consigned to the kitchen area. Growing up Mormon I only heard of Smith’s strengths and talents, never his flaws and foibles. My analysis below is no doubt an incomplete portrait of Joseph Smith, for I am focusing on one aspect of his character; but my focus balances out the white washed squeaky clean image of Smith produced by the LDS church. We are all multifaceted individuals and full of complexity and profound mystery. Nevertheless, this is an attempt to uncover at least one aspect of Smith’s personality and how it likely influenced his new religion of Mormo…

A Short List of Harm Caused by Mormonism

This blog post should be read in conjunction with my blog post here and my essay titled The Positive Side of Mormonism, where I mention all of the good in the Mormon Church. In this post I will point out several reasons why I think Mormonism can often be harmful. I need to be clear though that I separate the individual Mormon from the LDS Institution. When I speak of Mormonism being harmful I am not talking about average Mormons themselves as individuals. In fact, after reading the essay linked above it will become clear to the reader that I am aware of not just the goodness in the LDS church, but that there are many ethical Mormons of high character doing good in the world. 
I believe most Mormons are not themselves harmful but are unknowing victims of MormonISM. So to be clear, this list is not an attack in any way on individual Mormons but is a list of the harm caused by the LDS Corporation.
My intent is to both explain why, I personally am not a Cultural Mormon (New Order Mormon…