Skip to main content

Birds in a Cage

I have many LDS friends and family who are like wild birds who over the years have slowly adapted to being caged by the church. When wild birds are first put in a cage they fly against the bars and seek to escape anytime the door is open for any reason. The older birds sit in the cage even when left with a chance to escape. Leaving the Mormon Church in my mid 20s (around 2001) after growing up in the church was easier to escape, i.e. it wasn’t as traumatic as someone born in the church that must face the truth at the age of forty with a wife and kids. I feel sorry for Mormons who are stuck in the cage and have lost interest in freedom. It reminds me of the movie Shawshank Redemption, in one scene an old man who has been in prison his whole life is finally set free but he doesn't know what to do with himself and becomes depressed and takes his life. Later in the movie the character Red is set free and has a hard time adjusting to life outside prison as well. He struggles with things like not having to ask permission to go the bathroom. On the way home one day he says to himself, "There is a harsh truth to face. No way I'm gonna make it on the outside. [pausing at a pawnshop window staring at an array of handguns]. All I do anymore is think of ways to break my parole. Terrible thing, to live in fear... All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time." But he finds hope in meeting up with his friend Andy who escaped prison. Many Mormons feel the same way as Red when they abandon the structure of Mormon life. They are truly in prison and many times are afraid to be freethinkers. Their minds are clouded by religious dogma and social pressures. They are not free to entertain doubts that leads to healthy questions that leads to discovery and awakening. Instead, they are prisoners to their fear and ignorance as they have been conditioned to feel terror at the mere sight of a book written by a critic of Mormonism.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness - what a great comparison! The fear is instilled at such a young age, it is a scary thought to live without it. I know what life is like inside the Mormon bubble, but thinking of raising my kids without that [false] sense of security has me going out of my mind with worry. Do they have a better chance of success if I try to protect them by raising them Mormon? Fear of the unknown often stunts our growth and keeps us standing still in our shackles. I'm terrified, but I cannot follow a prophet (Joseph Smith) who has been a proven liar over and over again. In the long run, I want my children to make educated decisions. I don't want them to be afraid of asking questions. I want them to be free and to not fear their freedom!
-FreeMind

Popular posts from this blog

The Mormon Shame and Tame Cycle

Disclaimer: In this post I am not saying that feeling healthy guilt is wrong. In fact healthy guilt is sometimes important toward facilitating personal growth and ethical change. In this post I am critiquing Mormonism's methods of extreme demands on the membership to live up to the Mormon ideals, followed by unhealthy shaming techniques and the implementation of emotional manipulation. For my readers who are Christian, nothing I write herein goes against basic Christian doctrines of healthy guilt and confession to God and forgiveness by grace. I am specifically critiquing the Mormon Corporation and its methods of mind controlling it’s members through several methods, including making impossible demands on fallible humans; like the rule that you can't drink coffee, or that women shouldn't have more than one pair of earrings; and how LDS members who have been through the temple are required to wear secret Mormon underwear day and night to be deemed “worthy” of entering the t…

Did Joseph Smith have Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Disclaimer: Joseph Smith is many things to many people. For some in the restoration movement, who believe in the Book of Mormon but reject the leadership of Brigham Young, Smith was inspired but a “fallen” prophet. To Utah Mormons, Smith was a noble man worthy of constant praise and adoration. When I was a missionary there was one family who had a huge mural of Joseph Smith in their living room, with a smaller painting of Jesus consigned to the kitchen area. Growing up Mormon I only heard of Smith’s strengths and talents, never his flaws and foibles. My analysis below is no doubt an incomplete portrait of Joseph Smith, for I am focusing on one aspect of his character; but my focus balances out the white washed squeaky clean image of Smith produced by the LDS church. We are all multifaceted individuals and full of complexity and profound mystery. Nevertheless, this is an attempt to uncover at least one aspect of Smith’s personality and how it likely influenced his new religion of Mormo…

A Short List of Harm Caused by Mormonism

This blog post should be read in conjunction with my blog post here and my essay titled The Positive Side of Mormonism, where I mention all of the good in the Mormon Church. In this post I will point out several reasons why I think Mormonism can often be harmful. I need to be clear though that I separate the individual Mormon from the LDS Institution. When I speak of Mormonism being harmful I am not talking about average Mormons themselves as individuals. In fact, after reading the essay linked above it will become clear to the reader that I am aware of not just the goodness in the LDS church, but that there are many ethical Mormons of high character doing good in the world. 
I believe most Mormons are not themselves harmful but are unknowing victims of MormonISM. So to be clear, this list is not an attack in any way on individual Mormons but is a list of the harm caused by the LDS Corporation.
My intent is to both explain why, I personally am not a Cultural Mormon (New Order Mormon…